1. General requirements on application for visas:
If you need to apply for a VISA, below are the general requirements.
2. Processing time
- Valid passport or other travel document (not less than 6 months and it contains at least one blank visa page).
- One visa application form (be duly filled in and signed by applicant).
- Two passport-sized (2"x 2") photographs are required (color, front view).
- A copy of flight itinerary and the most recent bank statement for all applicants for visa.
- Fee rate for each category of entry per person is collected, accordingly: Transit Visa $35.00, Tourist Visa $40.00, Non-Immigrant Visa $80.00, (one-year multiple-entry Non-Immigrant Visa: $200). Fee can be paid by Money Order or Cashier's check. (Personal check is not acceptable) Please make it payable to "Royal Thai Consulate-General, Chicago."
- When submitting application by mail, a self-addressed envelope size 6"x9" or large enough to fit all passports with sufficient postage stamps is required. Metered stamps will not be accepted. Applicant may have their visa mailed by attaching a self-addressed envelope of Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation or Express Mail. (The Consulate will not be responsible for any lost, damage, delayed or misdirected mail.)
- Letter of Recommendation and/or relavant documents are required for doing business in Thailand or when apply for any other categories of Non-Immigrant visa.
- For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card with employment verification or a copy of valid US visa with employment verification letter
- For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name.
- All citizens are allowed to transit Thailand 12 hours without visa.
Applications are usually processed within 2 working days if submitted in person. Applying by mail will take approximately 5 working days plus mailing time.
Opening hours for applications: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM (Monday - Friday, except holidays)
3. Validity of visa entering Thailand
The visa should be utilized within 90 days from the date of issuance (for single entry)
4. Type of visas and purpose of visits
DIPLOMATIC VISA OR OFFICIAL VISA
Purpose of visit :
- To enter Thailand on diplomatic or official functions.
TRANSIT VISA ( Maximum stay 30 days )
Purpose of visit :
- To transit to the country of destination (Category “TS”)
- To participate in sport activities (Category “S”)
- The person in charge or crew coming to a port, station or area in the Kingdom (Category “C”)
TOURIST VISA ( 60 days stay and employment is prohibited )
Purpose of visit :
- To travel for tourism (pleasure) purposes only (Category “TR”)
NON-IMMIGRANT VISA ( Maximum stay 90 days, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand )
Purpose of visit :
- To conduct business, attend conference, or to work (Category “B”)
- To study (Category “ED”)
- To visit family (Category “O”)
- To conduct scientific research or training (Category “RS”)
- To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai ministries or Government Departments concerned (Category “R”)
- To work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter (Category “M”)
- To perform official duties (Category “F”)
- Other activities (Category “O”)
Additional information on Visas can be found on the web site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand and Thai Immigration Bureau.
The web site of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok also provides some important information on Thai visas at http://th.usembassy.gov/visas/
To view the fee for each visa type, please go to Visa Fees
5. Period of stay in Thailand by visa classification
6. Currency or monetary instrument(s):
- NON-IMMIGRANT VISA: 90-days-stay and can apply for re-entry visa if the period of stay remains valid.
- TOURIST VISA: up to 60-days-stay, employment is prohibited.
- TRANSIT VISA: up to 30-days-stay, without extension.
- OFFICIAL VISA and DIPLOMATIC VISA: as per agreement with Thailand, otherwise period of stay is granted as necessary.
Travelers over 12 years of age must have in hand currency or monetary instruments (e.g. traveler's check, bank draft) transferable into cash (Thai currency) for each category of visa as follows:
There is no limit on the amount of Thai currency which can be brought into Thailand, but only 50,000.00 Baht may be taken out without obtaining a permit. Thai currency can be taken out to neighboring countries, e.g. Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Vietnam, up to 500,000.00 Baht, without obtaining a permit.
- NON-IMMIGRANT VISA: At least 20,000.00 Baht per person or 40,000.00 Baht per family.
- TOURIST VISA: At least 20,000.00 Baht per person or 40,000.00 Baht per family.
- TRANSIT VISA: At least 10,000.00 Baht per person or 20,000.00 Baht per family.
Taking out an amount of Thai currency exceeding 500,000.00 Baht the requires a permit from an authorized bank. The original permit must be shown to the Customs officer while passing through the outbound passenger channel.
As from February 24, 2008, any person who brings or takes an aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent out of or into the Kingdom of Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to a Customs Officer. Failure to declare upon bringing foreign currency that exceeds the amount restricted by law or its equivalent out of or into the Kingdom of Thailand or making any false declaration to a Customs Officer is a criminal offence.
7. Health requirement:
It is not required unless traveling from an epidemic area to Thailand.
Visitors to Thailand who have visited any of the following countries must have a valid Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate. Those who do not present a valid Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate may be vaccinated and quarantined for up to six days.
Central African Republic
Congo, Republic of the
Democratic Republic of the Congo
São Tomé and Principe
Central and South America
Trinidad and Tobago
8. List of countries whose nationals are exempted from visa and permitted to stay only for the purpose of tourism for 30 days.
(The round-trip tickets must be confirmed and extension of stay not be permitted)
Australia, Austria, Belgium, *Brazil, Bahrain, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, *Chili, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel,. Italy, Japan, *Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Lao, Luxembourg, Macao, Malaysia, Monaco (effective 26 Oct 07), Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, *Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, U.A.E., U.K., U.S.A., Vietnam.
* Permission to stay 90 days.
1. Passport holders from 42 countries are not required to obtain a visa to enter Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days. Entering the Kingdom at the immigration checkpoints which border neighboring countries, such passport holders will be allowed to stay for 15 days, except Malaysian passport holders who cross the borderline from Malaysia.
2. Holders of passports from APEC member economies may enter and stay in Thailand for business purposes for up to 90 days without visa, provided that they also hold APEC Business Travel Card.
9. List of countries whose nationals are exempted from visa fees:
Rep.of Korea, Malaysia, *Philippines, Singapore, Tunisia.
*Permission to stay 59 days.
10. List of countries whose nations may apply for visa at the Immigration checkpoints for the purpose of tourism for the period of not exceeding 15 days (Visa on Arrival)
Bhutan, China (including Taiwan), Czech Republic, Cyprus, Estonia, Ethiopia (Effective 3rd October 2010), Hungary, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Maldives, Mauritius, Oman, *Peru, Poland, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Romania, Bulgaria, Malta, Andora, San Marino.
*Permission to enter and stay in Thailand for 90 days without necessity for obtaining a visa.
Requirements for applying visa on arrival
- Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (A.D. 1979)
- Valid passport or travel document at least 6 months
- Round trip air ticket for traveling out of Thailand within 15 days
- One photograph (4 x 6 cm.)
- Evidence of adequate finance: At least US$250.00 per person or US$500.00 per family
- Travellers who have traveled from or through the countries which have been declared Yellow Fever infected areas must provide an International Health Certificate providing that they have received a Yellow Fever vaccination.